recipes. whatever is true. adoption. whatever is just. redemption. whatever is honorable. modesty. whatever is pure. motherhood. whatever is lovely. think about it.

Monday, May 5, 2008

Cauliflower, Cycling, and Corelle



Don't you just love that completely random title? Instead of bunches of separate posts, I'll give you the highlights of the week thus far.

1. Decided to make a variation of mashed potatoes that turned about fabulous! Mashed cauliflower! First, you boil the cauli's until they are falling to pieces; then add a small amount of butter and milk, sea salt and blend with hand mixer until they look like mashed tater's! I added one large potato to mine to give it a similar flavor since I was serving it to the boys- but next time would probably just go it alone!

2. I did my first real outdoor bike ride with a real helmet and a real riding jersey on Sunday afternoon. I did six miles and it went rather well. I remembered all the terms that I'm supposed to shout out as I pass innocent bystanders. Didn't run over a single one of them. I count this as a big bonus. AND I stayed on the bike. AND I didn't slip the chain. AND I bought a gel pad for the seat that barely helped. It has been YEARS since I have ridden a bike, but it's like they say, "It's like riding a bike". Yep, that's what they say. :)

3. Well, I think the Corelle lasted an entire week. I am down to three plates. Not good. Hoping that 3 year warranty in the box will still be worth something. Perhaps I should just give in another week and wait for the rest of the plates to fall to pieces, then do the entire rebate at one time. Aargh.

4. The boys and I have been studying the book of 1st Samuel over the past two weeks. I am finding our scheduled passages very appropriate in a very conspicuous way...

Last Friday my youngest decided to pull a "parent trap" on me. (if you have seen the old movie- this will make sense) He climbed up and brought down my five pound jar of honey while I was out of the room. In a New York minute, he had 'decorated' all the hardwood floors in the kitchen, the newly upholstered kitchen chairs and our newish living room carpet. Yeah- nice. Double Aargh. Well, during our Bible time later that morning we read about Jonathon eating the honey in the woods and how God did not honor his attitude in response to his father's command. It prompted a very good discussion.

Then, yesterday we were discussing how 'obedience is better than sacrifice'; basically I desire obedience from the boys more than their help to do something that ultimately is defiant to the action of which I first required- whether it be "good" or not. Then, this morning we ended up reading that portion of the passage where Samuel comes to Saul (after he disobeyed the Lord's command to destroy EVERYTHING that belonged to the Amelikites) and reminded him that even though he was going to sacrifice the animals to the Lord; what God requires is absolute obedience- no matter how great or worthy your action might seem to be.

I think this concept is sticking with the boys...mostly. My youngest was doing something opposite of what I had asked and my oldest says to him, "Little Bub, remember- Obedience is better than being annoying." Close, honey...very close. (Although- you can't disagree with the kid, right?!)

Have a great week, friends!

Angelena

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, those gel pads don't help a bit.

Mashed cauliflower is good stuff!!

I love it when what we're reading is so quickly applied in real life.

Kimba said...

So on the topic of cauliflower...:) Love it mashed.

I like it but no one else in my family would eat it normally. Until I discovered that you can roast it like a potato. You cut it up into pieces, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Then roast it in a 450 degree oven until the outside starts to brown a little. I pour a little bit of browned butter over the top and yum! Everyone actually eats it!

Knit-Wit said...

I know how you feel about biking. I dusted off my bike last summer after 10 plus years of not riding.

I can't believe those plates are breaking. We received ugly ones as a gift and I couldn't break them to save my life.

You are doing a great job with those boys. Keep hammering in those Biblical principals.

I see your Dave Ramsey link on your sidebar. We lead an FPU class at church and just started our third session. Great turn out. People really benefit from FPU.

Heather said...

Just stopping by to say have a blessed Mother's Day.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Happy Mothers Day!
I love and appreciate you Angel. You've been a huge blessing in my life.

Love and hugs -Meghan