recipes. whatever is true. adoption. whatever is just. redemption. whatever is honorable. modesty. whatever is pure. motherhood. whatever is lovely. think about it.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Aargh


"Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible."
William Shakespeare



My half marathon is just weeks away at this point. I figured I'd better start some hard core training since my winter has consisted of accidental trips to the gym. Last weekend my pal "L" and I did a ten mile run and it felt great. We came to our big finish and I honestly felt I could have run another ten. I was feeling very proud of myself because this was one of my longest runs since November! I went home that day with barely any aches and pains! (Although I will admit I was a little sore the next day going up and down the stairs.)

So, today I woke up and made up my mind that I would be doing twelve miles. I arrived at the meeting spot where three friends from my last marathon training group had decided upon. We did a little chatting...a little stretching...and then we were off! Unfortunately, I realized within about thirty seconds that I needed to find 'the little girl's room'. (Apologies, if you are currently finding the direction of this story going down hill fast. Better move on now... it only gets worse)

I was totally distracted from that point on because there is absolutely NO where for a person to relieve one's self. Very problematic. So, I went on a potty hunt...running all over creation. I had to divert from my group to run around parks, nature trails, etc trying to locate a bathroom! Nothing, people...nothing! Keep in mind- we are in the middle of basically nowhere. About three miles down I spot a port-a-potty in the middle of a horse corral in the middle of an open field. I have no idea why it was there, but it was my target. Of course the corral was gated closed...so here I am...decked out with my running tights, garmin forerunner, mp3, coolmax hoodie .blonde pony tail flailing in the wind, diving over fences! And...of all the places I could have landed... you guessed it- right in a huge pile of mud. I'm sure I broke more than trespassing law along my route.

So, finally after that little episode I made it back on the running route and could see my group about 1/2 mile ahead of me. I starting running about 8-8.5 minute miles trying to catch up. At mile six I caught up with them and was completely exhausted. But, I pushed to continue and finally made it to mile 12... My team was so sweet...everybody was waiting and cheering when I arrived. I was so tired! I have no idea why this week was so completely different, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. (On the bright side...at about mile five I had a wonderful time of prayer! I felt complete and overwhelming joy of the majesty of our Lord! I know that God gives us times like this when we are discouraged to fill us with hope.)

I came home and basically collapsed for about three hours. Oh the soreness! I had to go to the grocery story this evening and that was torture too! I'm in my twenties, people! Aargh! But, yet- here I was again! Limping like I needed to ride in one of those electric grocery wheelchairs with the little basket on the front. After I went up toward the checkout line I realized I had forgotten my cottage cheese. I love cottage cheese. But I was hurting so bad that I didn't even turn around to retrieve it. It is indeed, a sad day when one must forgo curded cheese.

So, here I am... late Saturday night (yeah- it's 9pm) ...still limping from that crazy pain in my hip. My parents are coming over for our Resurrection celebration dinner tomorrow afternoon and I really should be cleaning. Should be. Hmmmm...




Signs that you might NOT be a Distance Person

- While training, you are passed by an old man with a walker.

- You scream "Stampede!" at the start of every race. (I'd love to try that once!)

- Your joints pop louder than fireworks when you stretch. (Oh, friend! That's me!)

- Your longest run was around the block. Well, most of the way around.

- That big finish line kick always ends with a crawl and a whimper. (Definitely today!)

- You can't help skipping and whistling while you run.

- You faint at the sound of the starter's pistol.

- You look for an ambulance at the end of each race. (Have I mentioned my interaction with the med tent in my last race?!)

- You cry at the sight of a hill. (Absolutely.)

- You roll down hills because you like the way the grass tickles.

Taken from: http://www.distancedemons.homestead.com/Trivia.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this post was going to be about pirates.

This one's my favorite: " Your longest run was around the block. Well, most of the way around." Made me laugh.

Wendy said...

Way to finish!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your 1/2, you'll do great!

Leigh Ann said...

Soo funny! This is why I don't run outside or run for that matter:-). Give me a treadmill with incline for me to walk on at a close distance to the potty because I will be needen it often.